How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As a US citizen living and working in Switzerland what forms

This answer was rated:

As a US citizen living and working in Switzerland what forms if any do I need to fill in with details of my offshore Investment portfolio which is a regular savings of 1000 USD per month

Other than the usual reporting of income on the forms accompanying the tax return, you do need to check the box on Schedule B that indicates you have an interest in a foreign account.

Each United States person must file a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR), if:

1. The person has a financial interest in, or signature authority (or other authority that is comparable to signature authority) over one or more accounts in a foreign country, and
2. The aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeds $10,000 at any time during the calendar year.

A foreign account holder must mail the Form TD F 90-22.1 on or before June 30 of the following year to:

U.S. Department of the Treasury
P.O. Box 32621

The form is available online at

For more details see the article at,,id=148849,00.html

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are the amounts I have offshore then taxed if so whats the calculation
Hello again,

A US citizen pays tax on worldwide income after deductions, exemptions and exclusions.
Offshore earnings are taxed at the same rate as domestic earnings.

The rate you actually pay on the offshore earnings depends on your total taxable income and your filing status. For a more detailed explanation see

2009 tax rate schedules (returns filed in 2010)are available at and range from 10% to 35%.

You can also use an online calculator to find your tax rate. For example, see

Best regards.

jgordosea and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you