How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just received a lawsuit settlement for breach-of-contract.

This answer was rated:

I just received a lawsuit settlement for breach-of-contract. The entire sum will be credited to me on an IRS1099, but the attorney feed is a 1/3 contingency. How do I recover the attorney fee taxes, Schedule A, C, other, and is the entire tax liability for the attorney fee recoverable?
Hello mrdaud,

The legal fees are deductible on Schedule A as part of your itemized deductions.

They are reported as a miscellaneous deduction, and deductions in that category must exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income before the excess can be claimed. The amount which exceeds 2% of your AGI will then become part of your itemized deductions and will reduce the taxable income you report from the settlement by that amount.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you mrdaud.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you