How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29573
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just got married at 19 and I didnt know that I dont have

Resolved Question:

I just got married at 19 and I didn't know that I don't have health insurance under my parents anymore. I bought my monthly prescription unknowingly under the insurance apparently...WHAT DO I DO? CAN I GET IN TROUBLE? HOW DO I FIX THIS???
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

If you are a dependent on your parent's tax return - most likely - you are still eligible to be covered by their insurance.


You may not be claimed as a dependent if you will file a joint return unless that joint return is only a claim for refund and there would be no tax liability for either spouse on separate returns.


Let me know if you need any help.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so this means that i cannot get into trouble? i plan to resolve this issue tomorrow
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

You need to verify if you are still a dependent of your parents.

Please see qualifications here



Then - verify that you will not file a joint tax return or if you will file a joint tax return with your spouse - it will not have any tax liability neither to you nor to your spouse if you file a separate tax returns and you only would file a joint tax return - to claim a refund.


After that - check with your parents about insurance policy - dependents are usually covered till the age 19 or 24 if full time students - but that should be verified.


Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i am 20 years old as of 3 weeks ago, does this still apply b/c i'm not 19 at the end of this year...
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

For tax purposes the age is determined on the last day of the year - so for tax purposes - for 2009 - you are considered as 20 years old.


You would qualify to be claimed as a dependent on your parent's tax return - if you are below 24 AND full time student for 2009.

You are considered a full time student - if you was a full time student at least 5 months during 2009.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i was not a full time student...what do i do?
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

If you are not a full time student for 2009 - to be a dependent - your taxable income for 2009 should be below $3650.


If your income above that amount - your parents can't claim you as a dependent. And -

most likely - that still need to be confirmed with your insurance policy - you are not eligible for insurance coverage.

In this situation - the insurance might reject the reimbursement claim and the pharmacy will send you a bill - that you will be responsible.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
someone told me that i commited insurance fraud and was going to go to jail for it, i was very scared. so you're saying i can't/won't go to jail? i didn't even know what insurance fraud was until a few hours ago
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

I think that is over-reaction - there is no fraud - as long as you did not knowingly provide any false information.

Insurance normally ask for supporting documents for child to be a full time student. If you get into the school NOW - by the end of the year you will have more than five months being a full time student and most likely will be eligible for the insurance coverage.


You will not be jailed - but in worse situation - would be responsible for a full payment.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thank you so much, at first i didn't think that this was worth the money but i'm accepting your answer. you helped me out a lot! thank you for the reassurance i'm taking care of the bill tomorrow!



Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

Appreciate your warm words.

Please update me with outcome.

I would be glad to help you if any clarification needed.

Otherwise please click the accept button - that is the only way for me to be credited for the work done.

Thanks again.