How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have owned a S-Corp for about 6 months now. I am the acting

Resolved Question:

I have owned a S-Corp for about 6 months now. I am the acting president and only shareholder and employee in the company. As of yet I have been unable to give myself a salary and have even transferred money into the business account from my personal account. From what I understand, here in Florida, it is mandatory to pay salary to all S-Corp employees. Is this going to be a problem when my tax year ends?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello angel,

The IRS requires that S Corporations pay the shareholders a reasonable salary in connection with their services. However, this is assuming that the business is making a profit and has the funds to pay a salary.

An S Corporation is the only tax entity which is allowed to declare some of the company profits as dividends, which are not subject to SS and Medicare taxes. Because of that special rule, the IRS wants to make sure that S Scop shareholders do not try to dodge the SS and Medicare taxes by declaring no salary or a small salary, and then declaring the rest of the profits as dividends. As long as you are not reporting any dividends being paid to the shareholders, then not paying yourself a salary is not an issue.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you angel.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you