Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I cashed in $12,000 in 401k and IRA money. Im 68 years old.

I cashed in $12,000 in...
I cashed in $12,000 in 401k and IRA money. I'm 68 years old. I paid for a new roof on our home. It was absolutely necessary to do this. Can I get a tax credit on this?
8/3/2009
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Th e money in your IRA account - are your money and you may take a distribution any time you want regardless of the reason.

However - you need to consider that the distribution will be added to your taxable income and might be taxed based on your total income, filing status, deductions, etc.

You also should be aware that additional taxable income might affect the taxability of your social security income.

It is recommended not to take a large distribution in one single year - to avoid possible higher tax bracket - but there is no any limit or penalty for you if you decide to take a distribution.

The value of a new roof should be added to the basis of your house and will reduce the capital gain at the time you sell the property.

There is a tax credit for installing Metal Roofs, Asphalt Roofs

Tax Credit Specification - All ENERGY STAR qualified metal and reflective asphalt shingles. You may deduct 30% of cost, up to $1,500.

Installation or labor costs are not eligible for the 30% tax credit. Roof coatings are NOT eligible for the tax credit.

There are several Metal and Shingle roofs listed on the ENERGY STAR qualified product list (look in the "Type" column) - http://downloads.energystar.gov/bi/qplist/roofs_prod_list.pdf

Let me know if you need any help.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor