How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own an eight unit mobile home park. All units are rental

This answer was rated:

I own an eight unit mobile home park. All units are rental properties. One unit was destroyed in a propane explosion. All units are fully depreciated and unisured.

I replaced the destroyed unit with a unit built in 1974. My accounting method is cash. Should I expense the replacement (cost approx 6K), section 179 it, or depreciate it?

Since the unit which was destroyed had been completely depreciated, you would have no deduction to claim as a result of the loss.

However, the replacement unit which you purchased may now be depreciated. You cannot simply expense the replacement unit, but you may depreciate the unit over a period of 27.5 years, and you may also claim the Section 179 deduction.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomer

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you