How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need a copy of my 1976 tax returns. Can i get a copy I need

Customer Question

I need a copy of my 1976 tax returns. Can i get a copy? I need it so i can get my exhusband social security number so i can draw my ss.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello general,

Have you explained to the SSA that you do not have your former spouse's SS number?

Normally they can help you obtain this information. Have they not offered to do this?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They said they did not go back that far.
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello again general,

Unfortunately, tax returns from more than 10 years ago are no longer available, as they are destroyed after 10 years as required by law.

If the SSA cannot help you obtain this information, your only recourse may be to enlist the help of an attorney who may be able to subpeona this information on your behalf.