How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

15 years ago, my father in law gave us a rental property.

Resolved Question:

15 years ago, my father in law gave us a rental property. How do we figure capitol gains on this.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello Peeka,

When you receive property as a gift, you retain the same basis in the property as the donor's basis.

Your basis in this property would be whatever your father in law originally paid for the property, plus the cost of any improvements he made while he owned it, plus the cost of any improvements you made once you took over ownership.

Your gain is then figured by taking your selling price less that basis. Any gain you have there is taxed as a long term capital gain which currently is capped at 15%.

In addition, you must recapture any depreciation which was claimed on the property. The depreciation which you and/or your father in law claimed on this property is taxed at a special rate of 25%.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you Peeka.

Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you