Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

what is child education expensce and how do i use it

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
8/1/2009
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Please see for reference the IRS publication 970 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

Which education expenses may be deducted on the tax return depend on the credit you are claimimg.

For instance - for purposes of the Hope credit, qualified education expenses are tuition and certain related expenses required for enrollment or attendance at an eligible educational institution.
Eligible educational institution. An eligible educational institution is any college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the US Department of Education. It includes virtually all accredited public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately owned profit-making) postsecondary institutions. The educational institution should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution
.

Let me know if you need any help.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor