How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2421
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Did I have to file a return for 2008 if I did not work but

This answer was rated:

Did I have to file a return for 2008 if I did not work but received SSI?
HiCustomerbr />
Thank you for using justanswer. SSI is not taxable income for Federal tax purposes, so you will not be required to file a Federal tax return.

Depending on what state you live in, you may want to file a state tax return to see if you qualify for any credits. For example, MI, where I live offers both a property tax/renter's tax credit and a home heating credit, even if you do not need to file a Federal return. You will want to check with a local tax preparation office to see if you state has any credits you may qualify for.

I hope this helps.
Anne and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yhank you for being so fast in replying, may I ask one more question?
of course ..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
related to the same issue as before, I receive some money from financial aid for my college expense. The school gets paid and occasionally I get the extra amount left over, still not more than poverty level. The student aid is in pell grants and not to be paid back, in other words I get my education paid for AND THE LOANS HAVE SOME OVERAGES THAT THE UNIVERSITY GIVES TO ME. Is this money taxable?
Hi again

Since loans (student loans, home mortgage loans, etc) are repaid, they are never considered income unless you default on your payments to the point that there is a "fogiveness of debt".

Grants are non taxable income.

So in answer to your question, no, neither the excess pell grant nor the excess student loan money you received is considered taxable income.

Publication 525 (2008), Taxable and Nontaxable Income

Depending on what state you live in though, it might be "household income" if you live in a state that offers certain credits such as property tax/rental credits.

Anne and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you