How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in St. Joseph county in Indiana. I work in both Elkhart

This answer was rated:

I live in St. Joseph county in Indiana. I work in both Elkhart County and in St. Joseph County. Which county tax rate do I use for figuring local income tax for my state form?



For a resident of a county that has an income tax the county of residence is used in section 1. That is, you will use code 71 for st. joseph resident rate .008 (from )


If you did not live in a county with an income tax you would use the county that you worked that was your principal place of employment. From the instructions: If you had more than one job on Jan. 1, your principal place of employment is the job where you worked the most hours and earned the most income. In section 2 of the CT-40 you would use whichever job that was your principal place of employment.


Residents use the tax rate for their county of residence regardless of where they worked unless their county of residence has no income tax.


I hope this helps. Please ask if you need more information.

jgordosea and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you