Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband filed a false joint return in 2004. I have no

Customer Question
My husband filed a...
My husband filed a false joint return in 2004. I have no information about the return, and the IRS refused to supply it. We separated and filed for divorce in 2001. He died in 2007 and left only debt.

The IRS is telling me I owe 15,000.00
What do I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
7/3/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Hello Elizabeth,

Did you file your own return for the 2004 tax year?

No. I had filed joint returns with my husband in 2001 and 2002. In 2003 I agreed to sign the one that he had had prepared. In 2004 I told him to do his own taxes. I knew I owed nothing because I was basically living off my mother, with 3 kids and less than 5,000.00 in income.
So on the return that he filed in 2004, did you sign that return?

NO. I never saw it.
Hello again Elizabeth,

What you will need to do is respond to the IRS with a letter stating that you had no knowledge of your ex husband filing a joint return in your name. You should also include a copy of your divorce decree showing that you were divorced prior to that tax year.

I would also include an explanation as to why you did not file your own return for that year, telling them that you did not have enough income which required you to file.

Once the IRS receives this documentation, you should be relieve of any tax bill they are trying to collect from you.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you Elizabeth.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
I have already done this . They still want the money.
Is there a way to find a person who can help me?
Hello again Elizabeth,

I think perhaps you need to ask to speak to someone who is higher up than the person you are currently dealing with at the IRS. If you were not legally married to this man in 2004 and you did not sign this return, they cannot hold you responsible for this tax.

You may also want to consider contacting the Taxpayers Advocate Service. This is a free service offered by tax advocates who can act as an intermediary on your behalf when you are having problems with the IRS. They may be able to get your problem to the proper person in a more timely manner and get you a quicker resolution on this. Here is a link to a website where you can find the number for the Tax Advocate office in your area.

http://www.irs.gov/advocate/content/0,,id=150972,00.html

Thank you Elizabeth.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant