How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had my taxes done a few months ago by someone different this

Customer Question

I had my taxes done a few months ago by someone different this year and I still haven't received my refund. The tax preparer spelled my name incorrectly and was was sent a letter by the IRS that I had to talk to social security office. Now they are telling me to talk to you guys. My social securtiy card is correct and my Identification card is right they said to send a copy to you guys.

I'm sord of confused what do I do. and who do I send the copies to.

Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello Fred,

The IRS has everyone's name and social number records as they are file with the Social Security Administration. So if your name is XXXXX XXXXX your tax return, it will delay the processing of your refund.

What you will need to do is respond in writing to the letter you received from the IRS and tell them that the spelling of your name which they have on file for you is correct, and that the error was made by your tax preparer on your return. Include a copy of your social security card with the letter.

Once the IRS receives your response, they will then be able to process your refund.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you Fred, and let me know if you have more questions.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I still didn't get the answer of what I was asking ,where do I send the copies to the IRS of my social securtiy card

Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello again Fred,

I believe you said that you received a letter from the IRS. You should send your response to the same IRS office that sent you that letter. It may be a different location than the one where your return was actually sent to, but that is the address you should send your letter to.

Thank you Fred, and let me know if you have more questions.