How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29581
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If tax returns were calculated incorrectly over a number of

This answer was rated:

If tax returns were calculated incorrectly over a number of years should it be the responsibility of the accountant to inform us of this?

The IRS will held a taxpayer responsible for all information in the tax return.

If that was just calculation error - the IRS normally finds that fast and responds to the taxpayer.


If the taxpayer hired an accountant to prepare the tax return - the responsibility of the accountant should be specified in the service contract.

In the absence of the contract - both parties should work out an appropriate solution.


If the accountant knew about incorrect information and did nothing to correct - his/her actions might be classified as a fraud.

If that was a honest mistake - the accountant may be held responsible for malpractice.


Let me know if you need any help.


Lev and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you