How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Got retirement package this year of 35,000 plus unemployment

Resolved Question:

Got retirement package this year of 35,000 plus unemployment for 1 year of 1450. per month. My dad gave me a check for 25,000. I don't know if this will cost me in taxes. Is this non taxable gift or is this considered income to me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 8 years ago.

The gift from your dad is not taxable to you and you do not have to report it. Since your father gave you more than $13,000 in 1 year, he is required to file a gift tax return (Form 709) but he will not actually have to pay gift taxes as there is a credit available to offset the taxes ($1,000,000 lifetime exemption amount on excess gifts). If your father is married and his spouse agrees to gift splitting, then gift taxes may not be issue even though the forms are required to be filed.,,id=108139,00.html


Bill and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you