Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My wife is excutrix of her uncles estate. She has sold the

My wife is excutrix of her uncle's estate. She has sold the land. Is there any tax implications since she inherited the land? Her uncle paid $5.00 for three acres in 1966. She recieved $27,000. Does she need to get the land appraised so she is taxed on any profit above what is appraised for?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

For inherited property - the basis is a fair market value of the property on the day the decedent died.

If the sale transaction was shortly after that - the sale price may be considered a fair market value - and there is no need for any additional appraisal.

She would need to report the sale transaction on her tax return - schedule D - most likely with zero gain - but reporting will eliminate any possible inquiries from the IRS.

Let me know if you need any help.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks. We had a realtor give us a comparable price for the land inthat area. That is what we asked. Maybe we should get something in writing from him?
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Again - if the sale transaction was shortly after that - the sale price may be considered to be a fair market value - and there is no need for any additional appraisal. sale contract would be sufficient to support your decision.

But if the property was sold long time after it was inherited - you might need a historical appraisal on the day the decedent died.

Let me know if you need any help.