How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29649
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

could you please advice what kind of forms need to be filed

Customer Question

could you please advice what kind of forms need to be filed by the end of the year for NJ non for profit without any activity?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Please see for reference -

Q. Are there annual filings or renewals that my organization needs to remember?

B. Your organization has annual filing requirements withthe State of New Jersey if:

(1) your organization is incorporated or

(2) your organization is required to register with the New Jersey Charities Registration Section. Also, your organization may need to file a Federal Form 990 or other forms with the IRS. For forms or detailed information on those filing requirements, contact the appropriate office (see resource list on page 11).

NOTE: This is not a complete list of all annual filing requirements, which may include annual filings for employee withholdings, etc.

The ST-5 Exempt Organization Certificate does not need to be renewed. If, however, your organization has a name or address change or a merger, call or write the New Jersey Division of Taxation or Division of Revenue to update your records and obtain a new ST-5 certificate.

Let me know if you need any help.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Could you please advice what kind of forms (documents) needs to be filed in NJ?

That was the question - I got Federal Form by mail.

Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Sorry for delay.

If you registered the corporation - here is Corporation Business Tax Return

Instructions for CBT-100 - online filing available.

Every corporation which incorporates, qualifies or otherwise acquires a taxable status in New Jersey must file a Corporation Business Tax Return. A tax return must be filed for each fiscal period, or part thereof, beginning on the date the corporation acquired a taxable status in New Jersey regardless of whether it had any assets or conducted any business activities. No return may cover a period exceeding twelve (12) months, even by a day.

if you legal entity is a partnership - there is no need to file if there were not any business activities - Instructions for NJ-1065

Every partnership that has income or loss derived from sources in the State of New Jersey, or has a New Jersey resident partner, must file Form NJ-1065.

File ST-50/51 Sales and Use Tax Returns Online

Every entity registered in New Jersey to collect sales tax or to remit use tax must file sales and use tax returns on a regular basis. The amount of tax due for each filing period must be remitted to the State on or before the due date of the return.

Depending on if you had any other registrations - you might need additional reportings.

Let me know if you need any help.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

There are some details about other current situation there we just tried to form non profit following the 'check list' of how to form NP corporation in NJ. We

- filed Public Records of Filing for New Entity (at 07/2008)
- filed Form SS4 for Empoyer ID

- filed Application for Recognition of Exemption (Form 1023) with IRS and we stuck - we do not have any response from IRS yet

- we plan that our next step could be to file the form ST-5 but it requeres approval of IRS based on Form 1023


We do not even opened the banking account eather.

There is our year end coming but the only official document we got so far is the letter from NJ Department of Treasury to file Annual Report online that we already did.


Thats it.


I'm not sure if there any other annual forms we should file also and if we missed to file some others already.


So I was hoping to get an answer with exact list of forms NJ non profit needs to file. Now you see the hole picture with our NP and I'll realy appreciate to get that kind of answer.