Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Hi there! Our only child is 8 years old and is starting a

Customer Question
Hi there! Our only...
Hi there! Our only child is 8 years old and is starting a hell of an expensive girl's school next year. The tuition ($23K) includes her courses as well as after-school care from 3pm to 6pm. Are we able to claim a portion of her tuition as a childcare expense on our tax returns?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
7/2/2009
Tax Professional: Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer replied 8 years ago
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

DearCustomer

If the tuition billing or invoice, apportions to the afterschool care (commonly called latch key), then you would be able to use the portin to afterschool child are as child care expenses on your tax return. http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc602.html

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the lightening-quick response! I'll accept the answer but just want to clarify -- there's no way to deduct a portion unless it's clearly itemized somewhere on the bill, right? We're talking a $23K/year school so we're searching for anything here.

Thanks again!!

Ken

DearCustomer

You say "is there no way". If you can come up with a reasonable apportionment, then on audit, the IRS may allow it.

The problem is, how are you going to fix FMV to the child care. the part of the expenses of sending your child to school that is for your child's care may qualify for the credit, if it can be separated from the expenses of education," according to the IRS.

Your school may be willing to break down the tuition for you. If you do not have an itemized bill, then you are exposing you to IRS scrutiny and how you fix the value; on audit it could be denied.

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Thank you so very much for your time and knowledge!!

DearCustomer

You are welcome. Best of luck with this.

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer