How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi there! Our only child is 8 years old and is starting a

Customer Question

Hi there! Our only child is 8 years old and is starting a hell of an expensive girl's school next year. The tuition ($23K) includes her courses as well as after-school care from 3pm to 6pm. Are we able to claim a portion of her tuition as a childcare expense on our tax returns?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 7 years ago.



If the tuition billing or invoice, apportions to the afterschool care (commonly called latch key), then you would be able to use the portin to afterschool child are as child care expenses on your tax return.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the lightening-quick response! I'll accept the answer but just want to clarify -- there's no way to deduct a portion unless it's clearly itemized somewhere on the bill, right? We're talking a $23K/year school so we're searching for anything here.

Thanks again!!

Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 7 years ago.



You say "is there no way". If you can come up with a reasonable apportionment, then on audit, the IRS may allow it.


The problem is, how are you going to fix FMV to the child care. the part of the expenses of sending your child to school that is for your child's care may qualify for the credit, if it can be separated from the expenses of education," according to the IRS.


Your school may be willing to break down the tuition for you. If you do not have an itemized bill, then you are exposing you to IRS scrutiny and how you fix the value; on audit it could be denied.


Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so very much for your time and knowledge!!
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 7 years ago.



You are welcome. Best of luck with this.