How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

new nonprofit entity publishes a newspaper, collects subscription

Customer Question

new nonprofit entity publishes a newspaper, collects subscription income, membership income, and income for advertising collected from "for profit" entities that want to advertise in the paper. they purchase supplies to produce the paper. which of these revenues & expenses are exempt from sales tax in the state of california, as a nonprofit. paper comes out 4 times a week. attach official sites
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 7 years ago.



If your non-profit is also tax exempt by the IRS then your subscription paper is not a taxable sale provided it is published and distributed a minimum of 4 times a year but not more than 60 times a year.


You can also put attachements as you suggest.


  • Published from four to 60 times a year
  • Delivered by mail or common carrier

This publication should be helpful to you:


Note those advertising insertes and column inches are allowed if you meet those two conditions and you are also a non-profit who is tax exempt.




Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ed the publish the paper and the have a TV station both as their main purpose of being a nonprofit. both the paper and the TV station get paid by those that want to advertise. some people have to subscribe to the channel in order to get the channel and the paper does sell annual subscriptions based on a person's desire: 1 to 4 times a WEEK. i think i mentioned that the paper comes out 4 times a week which means it publishes more that 60 a year. that is the criteria along with the sales tax for any ad's that may apply that i need to know about. i have not handled a nonprofit in this area before but they are tax exempt for Federal and Calif purposes.
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 7 years ago.



I apologize for not getting back toyou sooner on this. Your question did not show back up in the Que.


From what you are stating, the newspaper subscriptions do not appear to attract sales tax.