Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I just started doing certified payroll. We are non union shop

Customer Question
but will be working on...
I just started doing certified payroll. We are non union shop but will be working on public school project, which requires prevailing wage and fringes. My question is in preparing the payroll and the different payroll items to be deducted. Which fringes are taxable? I am confused, I have health & welfare, pension/annuity, training and something else. These are all employer company contributions. Is it a dumb question?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
7/2/2009
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

That is very important question and very complex - there is no single answer.

We should relay on several IRS publications.

The main is publication 15 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15.pdf - see the table on the page 32 that summarizes tax application to different types of compensation.

For various types of fringe benefits - there is a similar table on the page 6 in the IRS publication 15B - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15b.pdf

Both these publication have answers on most payroll questions and should be your desk reference books.

Let me know if you need any help.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor