How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just started doing certified payroll. We are non union shop

Customer Question

I just started doing certified payroll. We are non union shop but will be working on public school project, which requires prevailing wage and fringes. My question is in preparing the payroll and the different payroll items to be deducted. Which fringes are taxable? I am confused, I have health & welfare, pension/annuity, training and something else. These are all employer company contributions. Is it a dumb question?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

That is very important question and very complex - there is no single answer.

We should relay on several IRS publications.

The main is publication 15 - - see the table on the page 32 that summarizes tax application to different types of compensation.


For various types of fringe benefits - there is a similar table on the page 6 in the IRS publication 15B -


Both these publication have answers on most payroll questions and should be your desk reference books.

Let me know if you need any help.