How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I have $500,000 in long term capital gains, I should pay

Resolved Question:

If I have $500,000 in long term capital gains, I should pay %15 of that as taxes. Does AMT make it more than 15%?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 8 years ago.
If the gains are $500,000, then depending on the amount of your other income and filing status, you could be subject to AMT. For example, if you don't have significant other income and file jointly then the additional tax (added to the capital gains tax) due to AMT could be roughly $4,000 - $5,000 (the actual amount will be based on various factors).
Bill and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you