How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I purchased a house in May of this year. I want

Resolved Question:

My wife and I purchased a house in May of this year. I want to claim the $8,000 credit on last year's taxes. I am filing a 1040X to amend my 2008 taxes. My filing status was single for 2008 because I did not get married until February 2009. Should I check single or married on the 1040 X? Also my wife is a student and has no income.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 8 years ago.

You would check single as that was your filing status in 2008. You could only file as married for 2008 if you were married by 12/31/08. I have also assumed that your wife has not owned a home in the 3 years prior to the date of purchase of this home.,,id=206293,00.html


Bill and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you