How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a native american and live on tribal land. I would like

Customer Question

I am a native american and live on tribal land. I would like to start a small business and run it from my home. Am I required to pay federal or state taxes?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

Please be aware that the IRS emphasizes to taxpayers, promoters, and return preparers that there is no right to exemption from federal income tax for Native Americans under an unspecified “Native American Treaty.” Any return position based on an unspecified “Native American Treaty” has no merit and is frivolous. As a general rule, Native Americans are subject to federal income tax just like every other American.
see for reference -

Please see examples provided by the IRS.


Similar situation is with possible state income tax liability.

Let me know if you need any help.