How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1561
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am working 100 miles away from my primary residence. I have

Resolved Question:

I am working 100 miles away from my primary residence. I have found an apartment in this town to eliminate the commute. Am I entitled to deduct any housing expenses or travel expenses? I am a full-time salary person for this firm.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.


Unless you have another business at home or in the town of your primary residence, your tax home is at your employer, so you can not deduct "travel expenses".


However, you can deduct "moving expenses" on form 3903. This does not include housing expenses, but does include up to one month storage of goods.

Arthur Rubin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you