How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am currently selling on Ebay. I accept payments through

This answer was rated:

Hello, I am currently selling on Ebay. I accept payments through Paypal. I receive payments that total $9000 per month. But with all my expenses, I make around $1200 a month net. I do this from home. My paypal account is not a business account but a personal one. Now would I have to file annual taxes? Or if I chose too, could I not file at all since this is not really a business?



As a US resident you are required to pay tax on your world wide income form whatever source derived unless specifically excluded by law.


Your activity on e-bay is a business because you are turning a profit. You will only be taxable on your income after expenses. However, as you are self employed, the income will also be subject to self employment tax.

MequonCPA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So if I do not file, will I get in trouble with the IRS? Does Paypal or Ebay report me to the IRS annually? Thats basicly the only way IRS would know i'm even making a profit. And if I file, what form should I file with?



You will report your income and expenses on Schedule C on your individual return. I have included links to IRS Publicaation 334 and Schedule C to assist you.