How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Non-resident of California. I owned but have sold a

Resolved Question:

I am a Non-resident of California. I owned but have sold a condo in SoCal in April 2009. I live in Connecticut. Do I need to file a California estimated tax by June 15, 2009? or should I wait until the tax time 2010?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 8 years ago.

Dear Judy -


In most cases in California when there is a transfer of real estate by a non-resident, the escrow agent withholds funds on the sale to cover (partially cover) the CA tax liability. You should receive a Form 593 that reports the amount withheld. You should check with the broker/escrow agent to determine if there was tax withheld.


In the event that there was no withholding, you should make an estimated tax payment on June 15th. If you wait until you file in 2010 you may be subject to underpayment of estimated tax penalties.


MequonCPA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you