How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1561
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

on page 11 of1040z I have 45,770 from lines 2,3,4 compared

Resolved Question:

on page 11 of1040z I have 45,770 from lines 2,3,4 compared to 32,000 for joint filing .My question is how much taxes must I pay? It says to to use a 1040 form.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 8 years ago.



The worksheet on page 11 of the instructions for form 1040-EZ (which, I guess, is what you're talking about) only applies if you have Social Security (or Railroad Retirement) income. If you do, and your income (disregarding Social Security income) exceeds the limit on line 6, you cannot file the -EZ form.


You may only use the 1040-EZ form if you have no dependents, you cannot be taken as a dependent on anyone else's return,all of your taxable income is from wages, at most $1500 of interest and dividends, and unemployment compensation and Alaska Permanent Fund dividends, and you are not eligible for or do not elect to receive any tax credits or itemized deductions.


If your gross income is $45,770, and you are married filing joint, and you can use the 1040-EZ, then your taxable income would be $27,870, and your tax would be $3,679. I can't tell how much you owe, as it depends on how much was withheld.

Arthur Rubin and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I should have asked a better question. I want to know how the statement "Some of youir benefits are taxable this year" will fit into the actual total benefits to be taxed. I don't have access to a 1040A tax booklet which would have the answer to my question about the amount to be taxed and, of course , what the tax will be. For example. will I be taxed 85% of the Social Security retirement funds.? I would expect about atax of less than $1000 on my total income. I hope this is a better question. I didn't like leaving you with no more infromation. I will wait to hjear any comments.
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 8 years ago.

Are you saying that your income, disregarding social security, is $45,770?


If so, then 85% of your social security benefits are taxable, and you are likely to be in the 15% tax bracket.