How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i filed my 2008 return, received a refund, then found an error

Resolved Question:

i filed my 2008 return, received a refund, then found an error that would have given me a larger return, what can i do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello leapyr,

That is a relatively easy thing to correct.

All you need to do is file an amended return. This is done by filing Form 1040X with the IRS. Amended returns cannot be electronically filed, so you will have to submit your amended return by mail.

Amended returns generally take anywhere from 8 to 12 weeks to process, but once your amended return is processed, the IRS will send you another check for any additional refund which you are due.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you leapyr, and let me know if you have additional questions.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you