How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29800
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in the state of WA and get paid for working in the state

Resolved Question:

I live in the state of WA and get paid for working in the state of WA. I have a rental in OR that I am considering moving into. If I decide to live in OR and still get paid in WA will OR have any rights to taxing my income? In other words does it matter where you live or work when it comes to getting taxed on income?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

There are two basis principles for taxing the income - based on the income source and based on the residency of the recipient of the income.

If you are working in WA - that income is considered from WA sources and generally would be taxable on WA state tax return - however - Washington is one of a few states that does not tax individual wage income - so lucky you - that income is not taxable.


If you will become a resident of OR - your income would be taxable as for a resident - regardless of the income source - and your WA wages - will be taxable for Oregon.

Oregon has three income tax rates: for instance for single taxpayer - you will pay 5% on the first $2,900 of taxable income; 7% on income between $2,900 and $7,300.
and 9% on income above $7,300.


Let me know if you need any help.


Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you