MequonCPA
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
5142404

Arthur, I am a trustee of a testamentary trust for two young

Arthur, I am a trustee of a testamentary trust for two young men. They were 17 and 19 when their father passed. The 17 year old was receiving Social Security from his father's account and has received notice that, if he is now 18 years old and not in school, his payments will terminate. Is there any way he can keep those benefits payments? Must he remain in school to do so? If he dropped out of school, can he re-start school and re-capture the benefits? Look forward to your answers, thanks. Customer, [email protected] (I do family law work).

John -

Survivor's benefits for minor children ends when a child turns 18. The payments can only be continued beyond that age if the child is still in high school and then they will only continue up to the childs 19th birthday. See link below.

http://www.ssa.gov/survivorplan/ifyou4.htm

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Steve, it seems so simple. Thanks for your answer. John.