How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will be receiving a lump sum payment of $2500 for some contract

This answer was rated:

I will be receiving a lump sum payment of $2500 for some contract work on an upcoming paycheck. My current gross pay is 1241.49. I am paid semi-monthly. I currently claim 5 allowances. I would like to increase my allowances, but I'm not sure how high to go for this one pay period. Based on the W-4 worksheet, I could claim 10. I usually get a large refund, so I would like to increase this allowance as much as I can. Thanks!
Hello advisor,

You can claim as many exemptions as you want to on your W-4 form. Basically for each allowance that you claim, it will exclude an additional $3,700 from your annual income as being taxable. Broken down for semi-monthly payroll periods of 24 pay periods each year, that amounts to exclusing $142 from each paycheck for each additional allowance that you claim.

So if you want to exclude the entire $2,500 from tax, you would increase your exemptions by 17 for that one pay period.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you advisor.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you