Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a cleaning business andI just had a client call and

say the IRS wants to...
I have a cleaning business andI just had a client call and say the IRS wants to levy them. can they do that? I was under the assumption they could only do that if I had a real job and instead they'd have to come after my bank account. It's only one client so far where I only make $200 a month. Why would they do that when I could just easily quit on the client.
6/1/2009
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

IRS can send the information to your clients(informing them of the levy and) asking them to make the payment to the IRS instead of you. IRS gets the information from the Form 1099 filing.

It is one of the ways IRS collects unpaid tax liabilities.

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

Are they required to pay the IRS? I really thought there was a difference between being employed by someone and being self-employed. That would be like the IRS asking me for money if the guy cutting my lawn owed them taxes. I really wasn't aware they could do that.

Yes, they are required to pay the IRS the amount that is actually due and payable to you.

If the guy cutting your lawn owed IRS taxes and the IRS levied that guy than they can required you to pay the amount to the IRS (the amount that you would otherwise be obligated to pay to the lawn guy).

IRS is not asking you to make the payment from your pocket. It is asking you to pay the amount that you would otherwise pay to that person.

Let me know if you have any question.

RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
RD
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)