Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

This year I had significant loss. Can this loss be compensated

Customer Question
by taxes which was paid...
This year I had significant loss. Can this loss be compensated by taxes which was paid wthin the last few years
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
6/1/2009
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Generally - yes - the loss may be used to offset your taxable income,

however - there might be some limitations depending on the type of the loss.

What type of loss did you have?

• was that a loss from your business?
  • loss from the sale of a capital property?
  • loss from rental activity?
  • casualty or theft loss ?
  • any other - please specify?

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
More specifically, this year I had over $10,000 loss from a real estate deal. In 2005 I had $50,000 gain in the same investment. Can I recover my loss this year from the overpayment in 2005?

It is still not clear what type of loss you have...

Did you sell real estate for less than a basis - and have a capital loss?

Or you are in the real estate business and have a business loss?

Please clarify and provide more information about your situation.

I am an investor in a construction company. I've made profit in 2005 and loss in 2008

As an investor and a shareholder of the construction company - you should receive the schedule K-1 that identifies the type of loss.

Please specify - if the construction company organized as S-corporation , C-corporation or a partnership?

In which box of the schedule K-1 the loss is reported?

I am still unclear on the type of loss.

It is an S corporation. The loss was in the corporation expenses. The gain in 2005 was corporation profit. Yes, I have K1 form for both. My question again is that can I compensate my 2008 loss from the 2005 payment?

So - you had a loss from S-corporation reported to you on the schedule K-1 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1120ssk.pdf - box 1 as Ordinary business loss.

You may not carry such loss backward and apply to your 2005 income.

You can only deduct an S corporation loss to the extent of basis you have in the S-corporation, or in direct loans to the S-corporation. The loss above that limit is not deductible to you.

As you are an investor and not an active participant in S-corporation activities - the loss is deductible only to the extent of your other passive activity income and is subject of "passive loss" limitations.

Let me know if you need any help.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor