How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15182
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My siter just passed away and I think she has not done her

This answer was rated:

My siter just passed away and I think she has not done her taxes for the last several years how do I find out?


My condolences on the loss of your sister.

A personal representative (fiduciary) is responsible for filing certain tax returns for a person who has died, and for the decedent's estate. The personal representative may be required to file the final income tax return and any returns not filed for preceding years. They also may have to file the income tax return for the estate, and the estate tax return. If no personal representative has been appointed and there is no surviving spouse, the person in charge of the decedent's property must file and sign the return as "personal representative."

You can obtain a transcript of a prior year by calling(NNN) NNN-NNNNand following the prompts in the recorded message or by completing and mailing Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, to the address listed in the instructions. Forms can be downloaded at or ordered by calling(NNN) NNN-NNNN You can request any copies as the fuduciary. If there are no copies for certain years then you will know she did not file.

If you're more comfortable talking with someone in person, visit your local Taxpayer Assistance Center where you can spread out your records and talk with an IRS representative face-to-face. No appointment is necessary. You can find your local office by using the following link:


I help this information is helpful,

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you