Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Hi, I have an H1B visa and my fiance has a tourist visa, can

Customer Question
Hi, I have an H1B visa...
I have an H1B visa and my fiance has a tourist visa, can we get married in The US? And after we get married and return back home, can i claim him as a dependent?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
6/1/2009
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Yes - you may get married,

however - you will not claim your spouse as a dependent of your US tax return.

Instead - you will file joint tax return with your spouse - regardless if your spouse lives in the US or abroad.

You would need to apply for tax ID for your spouse.

If you are married on the last day of the year - for tax purposes - you are considered as married the whole year.

If you are an US resident for tax purposes - you may choose to treat your spouse as an US resident - and claim all income worldwide on your tax return.

Let me know if you need any help.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor