Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am looking for a New York State Tax Advocate. My employer

Customer Question
I am looking for a...
I am looking for a New York State Tax Advocate. My employer has been paying NYS at the standard garnishment rate of 10% now for some 3+ years. The State of New York has received approximately, off the top of my head some $30,000 to $35,000. I have a union job at CBS News in New York City. The state is now telling me that I still owe them some $15,000+. I believe that the main problem is that CBS pays the NYS Department of Taxation & Finance a lump quarterly sum and sends along with it the list of names, SS #'s and the amounts to be allocated to each persons fine. They DON'T know how to ADD, SUBSTRACT, MULTIPLY OR DIVIDE at the NYS Tax Department. I have had this happen before on the same issue. I need and want to get this thing stopped and wrapped up for good as I will be 66 in August of this year. I have been told that what I need is a TAX ADVOCATE.......not a tax lawyer.
Regards,
Rev. XXXXX XXXXX, MSC
rjrussellatcbsdotcom
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
5/22/2009
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

The Taxpayer Advocate Service is an independent organization within the IRS whose employees assist taxpayers who are experiencing economic harm, who are seeking help in resolving tax problems that have not been resolved through normal channels, or who believe that an IRS system or procedure is not working as it should.

CompleteForm 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance, . Fax or mail this form to a Taxpayer Advocate, fax numbers are listed below.

Call Your Local Taxpayer Advocate in New York.

<table border="2">City AddressPhone

Fax

AlbanyLeo O'Brien Federal Bldg., Room 354, 1 Clinton Square, Albany, NY 12207518-427-5413518-427-5494Brooklyn10 Metro Tech Center,XXXXX Brooklyn, NY 11201718-488-2080718-488-3100Buffalo201 Como Park Blvd., Buffalo, NYNNN-NN-NNNN/td>716-686-4850716-686-4851Manhattan

290 Broadway, 5th FL., Manhattan, NY 10007

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>212-436-1900

or, Call the Taxpayer Advocate Service toll-free phone number: 1-877-777-4778

For TTY/TTD help call 1-800-829-4059

NY State Department of Taxation and Finance doesn't have Taxpayer Advocate Service.

Your Rights as a Taxpayer are described in the Publication 38, Your Rights as a Taxpayer

If you are looking for contact information - please refer to this page - http://www.tax.state.ny.us/nyshome/telephone.htm

Let me know if you need any help.

My problem is NOT with the Federal Government, aka the Internal Revenue Service. My problem is with the NEW YORK STATE DEPARTMENT OF TAXATION AND FINANCE. I need a NEW YORK STATE TAX ADVOCATE. Not a Federal IRS Tax Advocate. There is a BIG DIFFERENCE.

The legislation has been passed to establish the "Taxpayer Advocate Act" to help taxpayers resolve issues they have with the Department of Taxation and Finance. See some information - http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?ad=010&sh=story&story=28419

Here is information about bills:

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=S02620

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A06097

However as of now the NY state Taxpayer Advocate Service is not created.

You may only contact the NY State Department of Taxation and Finance directly - see contact information above..

Or hire a tax attorney who will act as your advocate.

There is no other options.

Dear LEV;
I do not concur with you on the issue of whether or not the State of New York does or does not have tax advocates as I have had contact with one person in the recent past (9 months ago) who has used a New York State tax advocate. I am going to attempt to track down that person again for more information on this subject. Also, I have had contact with an I.R.S. agent in the New York area who also has informed me that New York State tax advocates do exist. I just figured that it might be more efficient to locate one through JustAnswer.Com. I will do some more investigating on my own outside of JustAnswer.Com this week to see what I come up with. I do thank you for your input but as I stated previously I do not at this point in time concur with your opinion.
Regards,
Rev. XXXXX XXXXX, MSC
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor