How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am looking for a New York State Tax Advocate. My employer

Customer Question

I am looking for a New York State Tax Advocate. My employer has been paying NYS at the standard garnishment rate of 10% now for some 3+ years. The State of New York has received approximately, off the top of my head some $30,000 to $35,000. I have a union job at CBS News in New York City. The state is now telling me that I still owe them some $15,000+. I believe that the main problem is that CBS pays the NYS Department of Taxation & Finance a lump quarterly sum and sends along with it the list of names, SS #'s and the amounts to be allocated to each persons fine. They DON'T know how to ADD, SUBSTRACT, MULTIPLY OR DIVIDE at the NYS Tax Department. I have had this happen before on the same issue. I need and want to get this thing stopped and wrapped up for good as I will be 66 in August of this year. I have been told that what I need is a TAX ADVOCATE.......not a tax lawyer.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

The Taxpayer Advocate Service is an independent organization within the IRS whose employees assist taxpayers who are experiencing economic harm, who are seeking help in resolving tax problems that have not been resolved through normal channels, or who believe that an IRS system or procedure is not working as it should.


CompleteForm 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance, . Fax or mail this form to a Taxpayer Advocate, fax numbers are listed below.


Call Your Local Taxpayer Advocate in New York.

<table border="2">City AddressPhone


AlbanyLeo O'Brien Federal Bldg., Room 354, 1 Clinton Square, Albany, NY 12207518-427-5413518-427-5494Brooklyn10 Metro Tech Center,XXXXX Brooklyn, NY 11201718-488-2080718-488-3100Buffalo201 Como Park Blvd., Buffalo, NYNNN-NN-NNNN/td>716-686-4850716-686-4851Manhattan

290 Broadway, 5th FL., Manhattan, NY 10007

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>212-436-1900

or, Call the Taxpayer Advocate Service toll-free phone number: 1-877-777-4778

For TTY/TTD help call 1-800-829-4059

NY State Department of Taxation and Finance doesn't have Taxpayer Advocate Service.

Your Rights as a Taxpayer are described in the Publication 38, Your Rights as a Taxpayer

If you are looking for contact information - please refer to this page -

Let me know if you need any help.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My problem is NOT with the Federal Government, aka the Internal Revenue Service. My problem is with the NEW YORK STATE DEPARTMENT OF TAXATION AND FINANCE. I need a NEW YORK STATE TAX ADVOCATE. Not a Federal IRS Tax Advocate. There is a BIG DIFFERENCE.
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

NY State Department of Taxation and Finance doesn't have Taxpayer Advocate Service.

The legislation has been passed to establish the "Taxpayer Advocate Act" to help taxpayers resolve issues they have with the Department of Taxation and Finance. See some information -

Here is information about bills:

However as of now the NY state Taxpayer Advocate Service is not created.

You may only contact the NY State Department of Taxation and Finance directly - see contact information above..

Or hire a tax attorney who will act as your advocate.

There is no other options.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dear LEV;
I do not concur with you on the issue of whether or not the State of New York does or does not have tax advocates as I have had contact with one person in the recent past (9 months ago) who has used a New York State tax advocate. I am going to attempt to track down that person again for more information on this subject. Also, I have had contact with an I.R.S. agent in the New York area who also has informed me that New York State tax advocates do exist. I just figured that it might be more efficient to locate one through JustAnswer.Com. I will do some more investigating on my own outside of JustAnswer.Com this week to see what I come up with. I do thank you for your input but as I stated previously I do not at this point in time concur with your opinion.