Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My mother deceased on January 28, can I claim her as a dependent

Customer Question
on my 2009 return and...
My mother deceased on January 28, can I claim her as a dependent on my 2009 return and for how many months ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
5/5/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
HelloCustomer

If the dependent died during the year and they otherwise met the dependency tests, you may still claim them as a dependent in the year they died for the entire year. There is no such thing as ever claiming a dependent only for a portion of the year.

Please refer to the following IRS publication - page 16 in the first column under the section titled "Death or Birth".

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomer

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant