How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks Your Own Que...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1257
Experience:  I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our mother is elderly, she would like to sell her home and

Resolved Question:

Our mother is elderly, she would like to sell her home and give the money to her three sons. Would the sons pay taxes on this money?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 8 years ago.
<p>The mother must make the sale and accept the funds first. She can then gift the money to her 3 sons. The sons would not be taxed.</p><p> </p><p>The mother (if this was her primary residence for 2 years out of the last 5 years) should be eligible to exclude up to 250000 of capital gain. </p><p> </p><p>The mother may need to file a gift tax return if total gifts to any person during a tax year is more than 13000. She may wish to gift part of the funds in 2009 but transfer more in 2010.</p>
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you