How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RD Your Own Question
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8784
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
Type Your Tax Question Here...
RD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The state of CA says I owe tax for the year 2005--I did not

Resolved Question:

The state of CA says I owe tax for the year 2005--I did not work in CA in 2005 I owe property there and paid my property tax but I never worked in CA for that year--In fax I haven't worked there since 2004
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 8 years ago.
You need to contact the State and inform them that you had no income in CA State in 2005.

It is possible that they may have received Form 1099 or other tax document under your tax id#. Do you rent the property in CA and have rental income?

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.
RD and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you