How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do I make payment arrangements for past due property taxes

This answer was rated:

how do I make payment arrangements for past due property taxes in livermore california
Hello Judy,

You should contact the Alameda County Tax Collector's office to arrange for a payment plan.

Homeowners who fail to pay property taxes can apply for a five-year payment plan, paying 20 percent each year. The details should be explained on the back of your property tax bill, but if they are not or you do not have a copy of your bill, the tax collector's office will be able to provide you with more details.

Homeowners can pay the unpaid balance at any time after the due date, but must pay 18 percent annual interest for each day it is late and administrative fees.-- Homeowners can also request a property tax bill postponement by contacting the state controller's office at

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you Judy.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
18 percent interest is huge. What is the deal on that? It makes it almost impossible to ever pay. Is there any legal recorse for this? In other words, if I hired a lawyer, would I have a better chance of getting this taken care of?
Hello again Judy,

I totally agree with you, and it would seem logical that the county would reduce this amount, just in an effort to help taxpayers who are legitimately trying to get caught up with their tax bills.

Unfortunately I am not an attorney, so I honestly could not really comment one way or the other as to how much help an attorney might be. However, with the amount of tax they are asking you to pay at this time, it would seem to me that it would certainly be worth your while to at least have an initial consultation with an attorney who specializes in property tax issues, and I am sure they could tell you whether or not this was worth your time and money to pursue.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you Judy, and best of luck to you in getting this resolved. I am sure it must be very frustrating.

Merlo and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you