How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed state tax return, although I only made 8,836.00, a

Resolved Question:

I filed state tax return, although I only made 8,836.00, a social security amount. No Job. Was trying to get homestead tax credit. was disallowed because your total household income exceeds tha maximum allowable income of 24,499.00.Your household credit has been computed using household income of 26,277.00 and rent paid of 6,880.00 x 20% = $1,376.00 I am just trying to fingure out how 8,836.00 exceed the minimum income allowed of 24,499.00. Maybe you could explain Thanks Dave Brehm
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.



Which tax software did you use?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Tax Act 2008. Use the current year version from them every year.

Does the state claim ss income and earned income in Wisconsin ???

Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.



You got it. That is the issue for you. For purposes of Homestead rebate, household income includes:


"Household income" includes certain nontaxable income such as social security and SSI benefits, pensions and annuities, unemployment compensation, capital gains, contributions to IRAs and Keogh, SEP, SIMPLE, and deferred compensation plans, court ordered spousal assistance, etc.



Ed Johnson and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX still only see an income of 9,148.00 before deductions, so guees can figure the state "screwed" me yeat again.


Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

There may have been an error in the tax return as prepared by tax act. YOu may want to do a manual return to be sure. This is the main publication that covers the Wisconsin Rebate program.


It has worksheets you can use to find out where the program went wrong, if at all.