Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

i had not filed a tax return since 1999. In December 2008 I

Customer Question
filed my 2001 return using...
i had not filed a tax return since 1999. In December 2008 I filed my 2001 return using exemptions from memory. The amt I owed on the return was 700. After I mailed it to the IRS my ex told me I was entitled to claim out daughter that year cause he didn't so I immediately filed an amended return resulting in a refund of 900. I knew it had been too long to get the refund (over 3 yrs). At the same time I filed my 2008 return for a 5340. refund. Got a letter saying w p&i I owed 1500 for 2001 and they were deducting from my 2008 refund and they did deduct that amt. I fully expected to get it back when they processed the amended return. instead I got a letter denying the refund because it had been too long. I knew I wouldnt get the 900. from 2001 but I fully expected to get the remainder of the 2008 1500.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
5/4/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Hello pam,

Obviously what has happened here is that your original return that showed you owed $700 had already been processed before you filed your amended return. That is why they applied the penalties and interest to your 2008 refund.

The letter you received regarding the $900 refund shown on your amended return was simply generated as a result of processing that return by itself. Eventually you should get a refund for the $1,500 you had deducted in penalties and interest, but rather than wait, you should write a letter to the IRS explaining what has taken place here.

Include a copy of both your original return and your amended return, and request that the $1,500 which was withheld from your 2008 refund be repaid to you. As I said earlier, eventually the IRS should correct this on their own, but if you write a letter with the details, that should help expedite this a little quicker than they otherwise might handle.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you pam.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant