Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can the IRS come to the work place 2 years after they audited

Customer Question
Can the IRS come to...
Can the IRS come to the work place 2 years after they audited your tips and say that they are going to take 14.01 an hour from your pay, if you don't sign you may be audited....I work for a Casino.    Dee Palm Springs Ca.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
5/3/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Hello Notsure,

If you are asking if the IRS can place a garnishment on your wages, the answer is yes, they can, if you owe them back taxes.

If you were audited two years ago and they found that you owed them more tax, if that tax has not yet been paid then they can garnish your wages.

Thank you for using JA, and please let me know if you have more questions.

The came in and counted all tips that we all made for one month..That was 2 yrs ago we don't make that much now
Hello again Notsure,

I guess I am a little confused as to what has actually transpired here.

The only way that the IRS will actually take money from your check is if you personally owe them back taxes. They can also mandate that you change your withholdings if based on the previous tax years you were not having enough tax withheld to cover what you owe.

Sorry if I confused you, it's all about our tips,they are saying 14.01 is what we are making in tips an hour....and the want 25% of that a day
Hello again Notsure,

I personally am not familiar with this type of procedure. I am going to put your question back on the open board to see if any of the other experts in this forum have heard of this and can give you some advice.

Thank you

okay
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Tax Professional: Wayne Brasch, Accountant and Business Consultant replied 8 years ago
Wayne Brasch
Wayne Brasch, Accountant and Business Consultant
The way you state the situation does not seem legitimate to me. Normally, IRS would contact each employee involved individually and negotiate the matter with you alone. What type of correspondence have you received from IRS about this?

None

I would suggest that you get the Casino where you work to provide you a copy of whatever documentation they have gotten from IRS about this matter. As I said earlier, IRS does not normally work in this manner.
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant