How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to amend my taxes using a 1040x to include $3587 I sp

Resolved Question:

I need to amend my taxes using a 1040x to include $3587 I spent on college tuition last year. where do I make th change on a 1040x, is it a different number then 3587, and what should my explination be on the second page?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello neil,

On line 1 of the Form 1040X which is your adjusted gross income -- in column A you will list what you originally reported on your tax return. In Column b you will show the difference of $3,587 and in column c you will show the new amount.

Your explanation should simply be "Failed to claim the tuition and fees deduction credit".

You will also need to complete form 8917 for the Tuition and Fees credit and attach that to your Form 1040x.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you neil.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you