How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have our own business (S Corp.). we want to lower our income

Resolved Question:

We have our own business (S Corp.). we want to lower our income we take out of the bus. for us. My daughter is in college. Would it be better to put her on the payroll and have her pay for her college and expenses or can we pay her college out of the bus. acc?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello McIver,

You cannot pay tuition fees for your daughter out of your business account, unless she is also classified as an employee of the business.

As an employee, you could then offer her a tuition reimbursement program. The limit you may offer per year to any employee is $5,250. Any additional expenses she may have could then be paid out of the salary you pay to her as an employee.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you