How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents died and set up a trust for their grandchildren.

Resolved Question:

My parents died and set up a trust for their grandchildren. I am the trustee of what is now an irrevocable trust which was just funded from their estate. My son is buying a house and I would like to use all of the trust to give to him to buy the house. Does he have to pay income tax on the trust distribution?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 8 years ago.

If the trust generated any earnings (dividends, interest, etc.) for the year which are being passed through to your son then that income would be taxable to your son. If assets are being distributed in-kind from the trust to your son then his cost basis to determine gain or loss when he sells the assets would be the cost basis within the trust. If the trust was funded with assets that were transferred in-kind from the estate then the cost basis for the assets would generally be the fair market value on your parent's date of death.

Bill and 7 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you