How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if i pay mortgage payment and taxes on someone elses property

Resolved Question:

if i pay mortgage payment and taxes on someone elses property can i deduct those amounts on my federal income tax?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

Unfortunately, you cannot deduct the mortgage interest and taxes on any property unless you are listed on either the loan or the deed to the property.

If you would have this person add your name to the deed as a joint owner, then you could deduct these expenses.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomer and let me know if you have more questions.
Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions