Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My mother and father are going to claim me next year on their

taxes. I have a son...
My mother and father are going to claim me next year on their taxes. I have a son and I was wondering how them claiming me would affect when I file my taxes next year. Right now I have a deduction of 3 on my W4, but since my parents are claiming me should I change the amount of my deductions to less? I want to try and figure out how me filing my taxes and claiming my son, while my father's going to claim me on his taxes is going to effect me.
5/2/2009
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Please verify following:

• are you married or single?
  • what is your age?
  • are you a full time student?
  • what is your gross annual income?
  • are you living with your parents?
I am single, 24 years old, not a full time student, my gross annual income last years was about $20,000, and I am living with my parents

please see below rules for claiming a dependent.

According to these rules your parents are not eligible to claim your as a dependent.

You need to file your own tax return.

Let me know if you need any help.

graphic

Now can they claim my son? Because now that's what they want to do, we both lived with them.

If your son lived with you and with your parents - your son is a qualified child for either of you - and you may decide who will claim the child.

If you both agree that your parents will claim your son - they may do so.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor