How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29656
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a recent green card holder. I need to file my tax return

Customer Question

I am a recent green card holder. I need to file my tax return but not familiar with the forms. I am earning wages not in the US. Could you advise me if you give advise on these matters?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

You might want to have a tax professional helping you with tax preparation.

You may file on your own - but that will require some time to learn about the tax law.

The IRS Publication 17 - - is the main source of information.


Generally - you have a choice to file a paper return and mail it to the IRS or use any tax preparation software.

The main form is 1040 - and here are instructions -


Or - for instance - - you may file your tax return online or download the tax software on your PC and prepare the tax return.


Even if you do on your own - you still may have Second Look review from H&R Block for just $29 per return -


As you received wages in a foreign country - and paid foreign taxes - you may claim a credit for such taxes on your US tax return - if the same income is taxed in the US and abroad - - you may claim a credit for taxes paid in foreign country - so the same income would not be taxed twice. Use the form 1116 - please find instructions here -

Let me know if you need any help.