How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29654
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a client who has works for a company that works with

Resolved Question:

i have a client who has works for a company that works with farmers. this client receives a w-2 from the company each year. he also receives commission type income from farmers if their wheat makes over a certain amount of bushels per acre. on his tax return, we have deemed this other income. he receives no 1099s from farmers, etc. the irs has contacted him to say self-employment should be paid on this . commissions are not subject to self-employment are they. wht is the answer.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

The IRS agent is correct - commissions are considered a compensation for service provided and therefore are subject of self-employment tax.

Reporting commissions income as Other income without paying SE tax is incorrect.
Other income may include Miscellaneous Income that is not a compensation for the service.


The client need to file schedule C or EZ and may deduct qualified expenses.

Let me know if you need any help.


Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you